All about us
Breckland Funeral Services is located on Norwich Road and has been a part of the community of Watton for over 40 years.
The original premises were a builder’s yard for Adcock & Sons, later Harvey's and then W Peeke-Vout & Son, who built the Methodist Chapel in Watton in 1926.
Waters and Sons then moved into the yard on Norwich Road and a young carpenter by the name of Sid Tennant worked for the firm. Here they ran a building firm but made coffins and provided funerals, hearses, often being farm wagons, and the horses being the work horses from the yard.
Waters & Sons moved to Thetford Road but Sid Tennant stayed on Norwich Road and ran his own builders yard and undertakers. When Sid passed away, his sons remained on Norwich Road and built a successful undertaking business, eventually giving up the building side. Jack Tennant managed the Funeral Directors and was a well known figure in Watton.
Richard Bartram of RJ Bartram & Son took on the old and respected business of RJ Tennant of Watton, now known as Breckland Funeral Service, in the 1970s and refurbished the premises. Richard supported the business from Wymondham at the time.
“On September 25th 1981, the purpose built premises at 25 Norwich Road, Watton was opened by Richard Bartram and the Chapel of Rest was dedicated by the then Vicar of Watton, Rev P E Jefford.”
In 1991, Breckland Funeral Service became part of R J Bartram & Son and joined with two other local Funeral Directors, Peter Taylors of Norwich and Rackhams of Diss, to form Anglia Funeral Services, an independent Funeral Directors serving Norfolk and Suffolk.